It is true that my posts are mostly technical. But today I will share some tips on keyboard cleaning.
I spend many hours daily in front of my computer screen and it is not rare to eat or drink something while I work.
There are people which are very careful and don’t bring food or drinks near their computer. This is a nice habit but in long term the keyboard dirt is inevitable. So we need to clean our keyboard (and mouse) regularly.
Yesterday, bored from the cleaning routine, I gave a try another famous cleaning method. The dishwasher.
Well, it did the job! In about an hour I had a shining keyboard, looking close to brand new.
1. Turn your keyboard, so that you can see the screws in the back side.
2. Remove carefully all screws and keep them in a safe place.
3. Take the back cover off.
4. Remove all electronic parts.
5. Collect all silicone pieces that make the keys bounce back when pressed.
6. Turn your keyboard and remove all keys with a screwdriver. Do not apply force, handle it gently.
7. Put the keys base and the keys in the dishwasher.
8. Start the cleaning program. Clean one or two times depanding on the dirt.
9. Leave everything to dry out completely.
10. Put the keys, the silicone pads and the electronic parts back and finally the screws.
Notes: According to my research the black colored keyboards are more sensitive than white. My keyboard lost a bit of the polish layer that has on the keys, but nothing serious.